Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2008 XC70 Wagon. Twice the check coolant light has

Customer Question

I have a 2008 XC70 Wagon. Twice the check coolant light has come on, but never stayed on. The first time I had a mechanic check it. He opened the reservoir and saw that there was fluid in it. He said it must have been a glitch that the light went on. A few days later the same thing happened. The message was the same , but it went out again, nor did it come on again both times I restarted the engine and drove the car some distance.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: On the dashboard there is a screen with a message reading: coolant level low. Stop engine.
JA: Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have done nothing so far. I do not work on my car myself, and know very little about problems like this.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Should I open the tank for the coolant and try to check the level, and should I add coolant. What specific coolant should I use?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

there's a coolant level switch / sensor in the header tank

and these do have a habit of furring up internally and then producing a false reading

So I'd suggest the next thing is to replace this sensor as its not expensive

and the recommended coolant for this car is either Pentosin NF or Zerex G05

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you