Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2003 xc90 from Japan only 53,000 km. I just got it,

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2003 xc90 from Japan only 53,000 km. I just got it, I've been concerned that it feels underpowered and acceleration is sluggish especially at low speeds. I recently Drive a friends Volvo 2.5t, exactly the same car except 2005 year which had done 115,000 km. It took off like a racing horse at the gate. There was a huge difference in power / acceleration. So much so that I wonder if my turbo is not working, I'm not sure but what could explain this? I will go back to the dealer but m keen to know in advance the possible causes.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

I'm assuming that this is the 2.5 ltr petrol turbo?

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues

Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost

If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you