Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

Dies while driving but will start back up, Yes, 94 850 non

Customer Question

Dies while driving but will start back up
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 94 850 non turbo
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it is not a turbo
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have changed the fuel filter and replaced the fuel pump relay #103
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is it a sudden stall out that occurs or does it bog out before it stalls out?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No it just shuts off and will usually start back up right away. a few times it takes 5min or longer, seems to be getting worse
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here but others here see you have requested a call and may still call on this.I can continue here if you like just let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
That's all so far.
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

When you had to wait 5 minutes or so before it would restart do you hear a hum or buzz noise from the fuel tank area at all when trying to start it?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
not sure
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

O.k.,one of the common causes for this fault here is an issue with the fuel pump itself.If the fuel pump is acting up intermittently it will cause a loss or lack of fuel pressure that can cause a stall out.In some cases the pump may work right away again and start right back up and in others the vehicle may have to sit a period of time before it will restart.

I would have the fuel pump pressure tested to see if fuel pressure is an issue when this occurs.This is done with a fuel pressure test gauge when the vehicle is acting up and in some cases a special adapter is needed to test fuel pressure.

This would be best to have tested when acting up to pinpoint the cause and repair it from there.This will require special test equipment like a fuel pressure test gauge and electrical test equipment to test ignition components for any components like the ignition module or ignition switch acting up that can cause this here as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I will check that out and if I have anymore questions I will be in touch. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

Your welcome

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I didn't get to talk with a mechanic and you still charged me for one! I don't need to talk to anyone now. Just reimburse me for the charge
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

Did my info here not help?

Let me know,thanks Pete