Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

My 2005 Volvo S40, front wheel drive gear selector gets

Customer Question

My 2005 Volvo S40, front wheel drive gear selector gets stuck in neutral??? When it does, I can't turn the ignition key off and I can't shift into any gear. Help?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 25 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hi Chris,
My 2005 S40 got stuck in neutral when I tried to park at the end of the day. The dash display message was "gear shifter maintenance necessary". After many efforts, it came out of neutral and I was able to shift into park and turned the car off. The next morning I happened to grab my alternate ignition key. Car started with no warning messages and shifted fine. When I tried my primary ignition key (the one with the metal insert), the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Going back to the alternate key allowed me to shift and drive just fine. What do you think?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 24 days ago.

Just to make sure I understand. With one key all works normal. With your other key the shifter does not work correct and you get warning messages?