Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

2006 Volvo S60. The engine died while driving down the

Customer Question

2006 Volvo S60. The engine died while driving down the interstate. It would restart but run bad so it was towed in to get serviced. I was sold a fuel pump and a mass air flow sensor and told it runs great. Well it runs the same. At times it will run great but other times it wants to die at idle. P0101, P0171 appear on a regular bases and yesterday I was getting P0193.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David sorry you found a mechanic that apparently just like to throw parts at vehicles. let me see how i can help you. please allow me some time to pull up a little info...thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sure.

P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

Possible causes - Low or no fuel - Faulty Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty Fuel Pump

The Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) sensor is a diaphragm strain gauge device in which resistance changes with pressure. The electrical resistance of a strain gauge increases as pressure increases, and the resistance decreases as the pressure decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) corresponding to pressure. Strain gauge type sensors are consider passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow. Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the PCM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor. The FRP sensor measures the pressure of the fuel near the fuel injectors. This signal is used by the PCM to adjust the fuel injector pulse width and meter fuel to each combustion cylinder.

P0101 VOLVO - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem

The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM). The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the ECM a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the ECM must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The ECM detects the air flow by means of this current change.

P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1

Possible causes - Intake air leaks - Faulty front heated oxygen sensor - Ignition misfiring - Faulty fuel injectors - Exhaust gas leaks - Incorrect fuel pressure - Lack of fuel - Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor - Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection

it is my opinion that the proper troubleshooting was not done. first they need to do a fuel pressure test. then then need to check the wiring between the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel pump. i believe the p0193 and p0171 are caused by the fuel pressure issue. the p0101 need to be troubleshot by testing the mass air flow sensor inputs and outputs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wow from what I have read the pressure sensor is a known problem in this car. I have a scanner now and when its running bad the sensor is reading 110psi. When running normal it says 42psi

if its intermittent like that i would definitely check the wiring.

hows it going?