Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

I have a Volvo XC90 V8 2005 1. Turn signal stop working 2.

Customer Question

I have a Volvo XC90 V8 2005
1. Turn signal stop working 2. No high beam 3. No windshield washing 4. No cruise control 5. No vehicle information function problems look like associated with faulty cem again. Vehicle is very risky to drive with unreliable or not-functioning turn signal.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. Do the volume controls on the steering wheel work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, the radio recently stopped as well.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.
The radio does not work at all? Or just the controls on the steering wheel?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both radio and controls on the steering as well as the navigation and entertainment system do not work.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Thank you.

While a problem in the CEM can cause issues in multiple systems, it sounds like your Steering Wheel Module (SWM) may be at fault here. The SWM is what both stalks, as well as steering wheel controls, plug into. It transmits commands from those items onto the network, and a failed SWM will cause them to be inop. A new SWM runs about $700 installed.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Did you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I got an SWM out of another XC90 will it need to be reprogrammed? Or can I just install it? If so I can send the current one to XEMODEX for repairs. The XC90 is over 10 years old it doesn't make sense to spend $700 on a circuit board, I have to get it pass safety inspection. The signal lights must work everything else can wait.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.
The SWM is programmed to the car, so according to Volvo, a used one will not work. However, I have heard of people having some success with some used modules. I have not tried a used SWM in a car, so I could not tell you for sure.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.
If xemodex offers a repair service, you can send yours out for repair. Just don't turn the key on with it removed or you'll need to have the SRS light reset after the work.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to select a rating for my service at the top of your screen. This does not close the question, it simply allows me to be compensated for my help. Thanks!

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Did you have any other questions? I see you have checked back but not selected a rating. Let me know. Thanks!

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Did you have any other questions? I see this is still open. Let me know, thanks.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

Can I help any further? If so, please let me know. Please remember to select a rating for my service at the top of your screen. This does not cost anything additional, it simply allows a small portion of the amount already paid to be shared with me. Thank you!