Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

I just installed an ICM and it will not turn on, 2004 XC90,

Customer Question

I just installed an ICM and it will not turn on
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2004 XC90
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My radio was working sporadically, I purchased a used ICM with the same part number, I disconnected the the negative battery lead, Installed the new ICM, put the key in position II, reconnected the battery and ICM doesn't power on I was not sure if I should next cross the negative and positive cables for 10 min, then see if it powers on
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: yep, fuse is ok
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is it, I might run out to see I checked the right fuse
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 28 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. A used ICM will not work, as they are programmed to the car. Your best option is to have your original ICM repaired here.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to select a rating for my service at the top of your screen when you have a chance. Thank you!

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Andy,Thank for your reply. I got it to work! I realized that I had one of connectors not seated properly. I guess I was lucky. I was going to contact Xemodex if it did not work.
Expert:  Andy replied 28 days ago.

Great, glad it works. It might be worth hanging onto your original one, just in case you need to send it to xemodex in the future.