Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

I need my radio code to unlock it. I don't but I have my can

Customer Question

I need my radio code to unlock it.
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: I don't but I have my can number and registration and everything. I had my car worked on after a hit and run and the guy who worked on it didn't know the radio code. :(
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2010 white volvo s40
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have it sitting in potion one right now because I read that it needs to sit like that for 2 hours until the radio actually reads "code" I had a family friend fixing it and he did all of the body work on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my car is running just fine. I think what happened is the guy who fixed it had to disconnect the battery and it locked the radio and the inside lights won't turn all the way on.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. 2010 S40's do not have radio codes. Can I have the VIN?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
my vin number is *****
Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

Thank you. That is indeed a 2010, which does not use a radio code. What is the problem you are having?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
My radio just reads "high performance sound" then shuts off, the little knob that adjust the inside lighting inside the car also is locked to where I can not turn it all the way up
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Could that just be something loose in the hood?
Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

Okay, thank you. This might be two separate issues. How bad was the hit and run?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
it wasn't that bad, they only damaged the back of my car. but the man who fixed the bodywork had to take apart the battery and other things too. Does the radio lock up when you remove stuff from under th hood? the car runs fine and it did after the hit and run, but the radio just isn't working anymore.
Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

No, disconnecting the battery should not cause anything like this. However, low battery voltage can. If the car sat for a while while the work was being done and the system voltage was low, it can cause all sorts of things. It might be able to be reset by having a dealer scanner reset all fault codes and low voltage counters. However, you could also have a failed Infotainment Control Module, which is the screen. It isn't too uncommon of a failure.

Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

Unable to tell without a dealer scanner that can communicate with all the modules in the car though.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
where could I go to get a dealer scanner? could I do that at auto zone or somewhere other than the volvo dealership near me? I had a very bad experience with the dealership here and I even called them this morning about coming in so they could look at it and the man I spoke with was just very rude to me.
Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. The code readers they use at AutoZone and other parts stores are generic OBDII code readers that are unable to communicate with all the modules in the car, such as the ICM.

You could see if there are any independent shops that specialize in Volvo repair enough to have bought OEM equipment. Additionally, there are clones available on eBay and elsewhere, but I have heard they are troublesome to set up (since they are illegal copies)

Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

Is the battery fully charged?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I believe so I actually just bought a new battery the day before it was involved in a hit and run. it was in the shop for a little over a month after that
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
the battery is still really new
Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

If the battery is fully charged, you can try a battery reset. Disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for about 30 seconds. Then reconnect it and see if the ICM is working. This may not work, but it's something quick and easy you can try

Expert:  Andy replied 26 days ago.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions. When you're all set, please remember to select a rating for my service at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Expert:  Andy replied 24 days ago.
Did you have any other questions?