Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

Sometimes when I try to start it, it acts like it not in

Customer Question

sometimes when I try to start it, it acts like it not in park It has a new battery and puts out 14 volts when running. One timee after a few mins the electtric door locks loced and it turned over, but too a while to start. It is a 2004 60 5 cyl
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: yes we have brrakee lightss andd no troublee codees came u
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: what is a MINI? wee just bought the car 2 dAYSS AGO IT IS A 2004
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If fault codes were not checked with a fully compatible scan tool this needs done.In some cases a lower end scan tool will not be able to communicate with all computers in your model and this may be why no codes were detected.

I have seen issues with the electronic ignition switch cause issues like this here as well as loose or corroded battery cables on the other end from the battery or at the fuse panels.If these are or have been checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for answering the cables
at the battery were cleaned when I replaced the battery. as far as the other ends are concerned,where are they? I cleaned the connection at the fuse box under the hood
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome

Unfortunately my info is not showing me the other end of the cable connections.Usually the ground runs from the battery ground to the body and bolts down as well as to the engine block and bolts down to the engine.The power cable usually runs to the starter and under hood fuse panel and in some cases from the alternator to the battery or alternator to starter.You would need to follow and trace the cables to where they run and connect to to be sure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will look for the other ends off the cables and get it checked for diagnostic codes, then I will call you one of the problems is that the problem is intermitant and might take a while to see if it is fixed thanks talk to you later
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome.

Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.

Thanks Pete