Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2010 Volvo S40 trunk doesn't open. Well it must be

Customer Question

2010 Volvo S40 trunk doesn't open.
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: Well it must be electronic I don't hear the release sound not even when I use my remote
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I purchased a new Volvo release part Just tried it nothing there
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was planning to take it to the service. But if you feel you know what is the issue. I will be happy to try it out tomorrow

Are you able to get the rear seat back to lay down to gain access to the inside of the trunk?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the manual release attached to a small rope. So I can easily open trunk.
If you want to call. We can do that tomorrow afternoon.
It is late now
Is that ok with you ?

You can request a call and pay the extra fee to do so, but I can not take it. I have no phone service where i am this week, just WIFI. We can though continue tomorrow.

Since you can get the trunk open if you have a volt meter we can diagnose what is wrong.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I can continue with you. But I do not have a voltmeter.

Do you have a test light and or know someone with either tool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can buy one today. You think you can guide me through. I am not a technician but I like to work on cars.

Yes I can guide you through this. A 29$ INNOVA brand digital multimeter from auto one will work perfect. Here is your diagram.

Trunk open, lock actuator accessed. There are 4 black wires pins 1-2-3-4 in a row.

Pin1 is power when commanding the trunk to open

Pin2 is always ground

Pin3 is the trunk ajar switch. It changes from grounded to not grounded based on being opened and closed.

Pin4 is illumination power.

We need to verify the ground is good and if the actuator gets power when commanded to unlock. If those are present then the actuator will be to blame.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Moose
It looks like this is going to be complicated for me. So I decided to take it to the shop
However if I need to rate you I should give you 5 for your support
My issue is not resolved because of my decision to take the car to the shopAny comment ?

I would prefer a rating of 5 stars compared to any other or none. The rating is my feedback on how I helped.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Chris,I know you helped and you did your best. However I was charged even though I didn't complete the service. I ended up taking it to Dr. Imports in Fountain Valley and they did it. cost $269
Please advise how to cancel the charge...

Use the contact us link at the bottom of the page to contact the website.

Sorry you felt my help had no value.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You were valuable... I thought it would be an easy job but it looks that I was not ready for it... my mistake

Sorry you could not do the repairs. Once you contact the website they can refund you so I am not paid on this post.