Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have a 2006 S40 with a t5 engine. My son was driving it

Customer Question

I have a 2006 S40 with a t5 engine. My son was driving it and it just stalled. He checked the code and came up with cam shaft sensor ( he don't remember the number). We replaced the sensor and it won't start. Seems like it won't turn over fast enough to start. We checked for spark and that is good. We checked for fuel and that is good. I pulled out the vvt solenoids and got 4.31 ohms on the exhaust side and 4.29 on the intake. Not sure what to try next.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Hi im kevin have you checked timing belt ? Is cam turning when cranking engine ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the cams are turning. Just seems to turn over real slow even with jumper cables.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Ok and what was the actual code ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure. He remembers looking it up and it was the cam shaft sensor.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

Ok the code refers to the type of issue with cam sensor weather it be a circuit issue or a timing issue.if you have fuel and spark the only thing to check is compression i suspect timing belt has slipped

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, we went out if town yesterday. I can can verify the two cams are in time, however I can't seem to locate the marks on the crankshaft gear. I am going to try and remove the accessory pulley from the crank to see if this will make it easier to see. I will let you know what the outcome is.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

No problem looks good so far

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, I travel a lot for my job and haven't had time to look at it for a couple of days. I plan to look at it this weekend.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found out that the serpentine belt had broken and wrapped around the crank pulley. I removed the broken belt and put it back in time and still won't start. Are there any immobilizer resets on this car?? Do I have to get it off the jack stands before trying to start it? Found out that after it shut off on my son that he had it towed back to the house. Just wondering if there is something that we have to reset before it will start again.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

How far was timing out ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure, I couldn't find the marks on the crank, so I took the belt off and turned the crank till I could see them from the bottom and marked them with a paint marker and then spun it around till they were in the middle of the post.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Ok to be honest im pretty confident that damage has been caused to valve train .when belt falls out of alignment it allows cams and crank to fall out of sync and they make contact .this in turn causes low compression in cylinders in most cases giving a non start .the cylinder head will need to be removed so bent valves can be replaced

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wouldn't a bent or broken valve make a metallic sound when the engine is turning over?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

No not at all no noise