Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

The battery on our 2010 Volvo XC60 has died several times

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: The battery on our 2010 Volvo XC60 has died several times and our most recent diagnostic test by AAA suggests that we may have a parasitic draw.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I believe that's what AAA used last time. No visible leaks were noted.
JA: Are you fixing your XC60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We've just had it jumpstarted a few times. I was going to have the battery replaced, but don't want to do that if it doesn't address the root cause. The dealers and mechanics I've called have made it sound like it could take hours to diagnose at $$$/hour, which is not reassuring. We're planning to sell or trade this car in the next few months anyway.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How does this work? I found this site through a Google search and the chat window just popped up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you have a multi meter to test electrical with at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, we don't. I can take a photo of the last diagnostic test results conducted by AAA when they jumpstarted it a few weeks ago. Would that help?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

In some cases it can help.If you can post the photo here let me know.I have a procedure that needs followed to help locate and repair the drain/draw issue.I would have this test done to locate the source of the drain/draw.This will require a multi meter to locate it.This can be done by you or anyone you know that has this tool.The only other option unfortunately is to have a dealer or shop do this testing to locate the source of the fault.

I would have the battery and alternator tested as well just to make sure they are o.k.A local parts store will usually test the battery and alternator at no charge to you and takes less then 10 minutes to do this.Below is the test procedure for the battery drain that needs done.

What needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.If you need help knowing what is on the fuses circuit once the fuse is located let me know if your testing yourself or with someone that has this tool.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** can't find the diagnostic printout and don't have a multi-meter. I appreciate your test description, but I've already read this same information online and hoped this "Just Answer" service would be more valuable and conclusive. It sounds like I'll have to just visit a mechanic instead of attempting to DIY with the help of this service.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome

Unfortunately with all of the electronics this model has here it can be a large number of different components that will cause this fault.

One of the most common I have seen is an internal electrical fault in the radio itself.It will stay powered up internally due to a short in it and cause this drain here.But unfortunately the only way to be sure of the cause is to have this testing done due to the large amount of possible components that can cause this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated for my assistance here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If there's a fault in the radio, how would I fix that?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

The radio generally either has to be removed and sent in for repair to an authorized repair center (usually a local electronics repair facility or through a dealer to their repair facility) or removed and replaced.These are the only ways to correct this here.Or if you dont use the radio it can be disconnected all together.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would it help if we just replaced the battery?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If the battery is weak or failing it would help to replace it and make sure you start and operate the vehicle at least 45 minutes a day as this will help maintain charge in the battery.You can also obtain a small trickle charger that attaches permanently to the battery and plug it in over night every night to make sure this doesnt happen.A maintainer like this below wires directly to your battery and is small enough to be tucked away near the battery and then just plug it in at night.|THD|google|&mid=sF2BZPNpH|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_111415680425_pkw__pmt__product_205168532_slid_&gclid=CKfHr6GMis8CFYQAaQodIpQHoQ

Thanks Pete