Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Oil in the cooling system, Yes, started overheating. I have

Customer Question

Oil in the cooling system
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?
Customer: Yes, started overheating. I have just flushed the entire system and got all the gunk out, but notice new oil coming out now when I open the radiator plug
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: S60 2002
JA: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. So far have just flushed the whole cooling system and cleared most of the old oil that was in there. Just getting ready to treat it with steel seal to rule out head gasket failure
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

This could be caused by a engine oil cooler that is leaking, also could be a cracked block. Check the transmission fluid as well, I have seen transmission coolers cause the coolant to cause this, due to a transmission cooler in the radiator that is leaking.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Having flushed the radiator I filled it with the recommended 50/50 water/coolant, but it only accepted about 5 litres of same when the manual says it should be about 9 litres. Anyway, I have been driving the car for a week and went on a very long 6 hour round trip yesterday. On the way back the coolant low message came up on the dash but the temperature guage remained at exactly half-way which seems to be the normal operating temp for this car, so I kept an eye on it and got home fine. This morning while the engine was cold I checked the coolant level and it was sitting just below the min level and took maybe half a litre. A few short trips this morinng and then this afternoon, as the engine started warming but before it got hot it flashed the same coolant lo message, so I pulled over and this time it took about a litre or bit more. There doesn't appear to be an obvious leak. No smoke. No visible oil in the coolant or coolant in the engine oil. Earlier this week I went to top up the aircon and there's an obvious leak somewhere near the radiator so that was futile. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The ac leak is most likely the condenser. A rock might have hit it, this is common.

The low coolant could be the system burping all the air out, this will cause space for more coolant, since you only added 5qts and the system holds 9, there will be air coming out while driving for a bit, this is normal.