sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2000 s80 2.9 that turns over but will not run. It

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2000 s80 2.9 that turns over but will not run. It has 60 lbs of fuel pressure on the injection rail. It will run with starting fluid.. there is no immobilizer message either. help
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 180000.
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. fixing myself. replaced the fuel pump. changed filter. cleaned etm. is it he fuel injection?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all thanks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that you have no injector pulse but it's also possible that you're just missing spark. Starting fluid will compression ignite and can't be used as a substitute for actually checking for spark.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi. I have spark. the only code is for oxygen sensor. can I check injector with an circuit test light?The car has always tried to start then shuts off. its about 2 seconds long. Thanks

It starts and dies abruptly as if the key was turned off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but if keep key on as if starter engaged still does not run..

Go ahead and use a test light or noid light to see if it's actually losing injector pulse.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is power to injector. a constant light.

What you need to check next is the injector pulse.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
both wires to injector had a constant light for 10 to fifteen seconds after tried to start and even when key is taken out of ignition.

How are you testing that?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A light tester. one end is grounded and the hand held unit with point into the wire through insulation. its all i have

You need to check injector pulse. Set the test light up across the pins of the injector connectors and crank the engine.

The injectors need to be unplugged and the terminals contacted with the test light and a T pin or paperclip used for a contact on the alligator clip end. Piercing a wire with a test light causes water intrusion and corrosion in the wiring harness. Any holes already in the wiring should be sealed with silicone or liquid electrical tape.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will seal this thing up good if it ever runs again. ThanksI did the test across the terminals. there is a dim light but I can't tell if it is a pulse being made.

Do you have an actual scan tool to monitor data? Monitoring data is going to be necessary to accurately diagnose the problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a actron pocketscan plus.The I/M monitors functions shows these items:Misfire - ready
fuel system - ready
comprehen comp - ready
catalyst - not ready
evaporative sys - not ready
oxygen sensor - not ready
htd 02 sensor - not ready

An actual scan tool would be required to monitor data. An actual scan tool starts at around $2,000 for an entry level unit. What you're seeing there is just telling you what OBDII monitors have ran and passed since memory was last cleared.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try to barrow one or take this beast to the garage. Thanks

You're welcome!

It sounds as if it could be a security related issue if there is spark but no injector pulse, but if you aren't seeing a security light staying on or flashing then it will take the ability to monitor data to know if that's really the case.