sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2010 s80...vehicle in park, key stuck in housing, won't

Customer Question

2010 s80...vehicle in park, key stuck in housing, won't start, message says "shift to park". battery tested good, all else seems in order (fuses, etc). disconnect/reconnect negative battery terminal and car will start/gears operate (can be driven) but when car is parked and turned off key is still stuck and car will not start again
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: As far as I know the tranny is original (2010) and I have not checked the brake switch (don't know where it is) but the brakes/brake lights work fine when running/parked
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing myself. lubed shifter-arm (underneath driver side console), checked battery and fuses (good). disconnected battery cables and held them together for 30 seonds, reconnected and car started but key locked when shut off. seems like computer is not reading "park" as indicted by "shift to park" message
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. I've done a lot of research and cannot solve the problem. seems electrical/computer related to me. thanks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it doesn't believe that the shifter is in park then it will not allow the key to be removed. You may have a transmission range sensor, wiring, or shift linkage issue.

Do you have a scan tool to monitor data?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I scanned it and it had no error codes. I can start it and drive it by disconnecting/reconnecting the negative battery terminal but when I turn it off the key is still stuck and it will not start again unless I re-do the negative battery terminal thing. I get a message on the dash that says "shift to park". All other gears work correctly and display correctly (P,R,N) when I have it running. I had the battery tested and it is good. Unknown how this occurred. thanks for your response!

You have an actual scan tool on hand to monitor data?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's just a cheap obd scanner which would tell me what errors exist if the check engine light is on, which it is not. are there gear shift solenoids in the gear shift housing? I can only see what I think is a brake switch solenoid in the shift assembly (on the driver's side) since the rest of the assembly is covered in plastic and I cannot disassemble it. the brake switch solenoid looks to be working fine and I have operating brake lights

It sounds as if you have a generic OBDII code reader. An actual scan tool is necessary to diagnose the issue. An actual scan tool starts at around $2,000 for an entry level unit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Right, it is a generic obd code reader. I am wondering if there is a gear shift solenoid/sensor somewhere that is not operating correctly and not recognizing the "park" position
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You mentioned transmission range sensor, wiring or shift linkage as possible issues. where is the transmission range sensor located?

The range sensor is in in the transmission. A scan tool will be needed to see if it's reporting that the trans is in park and it's ok to turn the key to the locked position.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I believe the transmission range sensor is also called the PNP switch. Sounds like I'll have to take it to the garage to have it scanned. Any other advise/suggestions?

Outside of a visual inspection of wiring and shift linkage it would take the ability to monitor data to diagnose the problem with certainty.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The wiring and shift linkage appear to be ok, from what I can tell. No fuses blown, nothing else that's electrical-related seems bad. I can't see the entire linkage, but what I can see looks to be moving freely (not sticking). I will have to take it to a mechanic for a scan

Let me know how it goes!