FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

Bought s60r ,last week.. s60r check engine light just came

Customer Question

bought s60r ,last week.. s60r check engine light just came on.. im wondering what to check. i took off the oil fill cap and saw a residue somewhat like sand. touched w finger and felt griddy like mud. oil on dipstick looks fair but on the little curve i can see a darker red residue that resembles that of the cap? any ideas
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What year is your S60?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: id like to have a better idea... considering buying the autel md702 scan tool. now that i think back the dash did read something about regular maitenance before the light came on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 125k miles
Category: Volvo
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light is on then you really need to start by scanning the computer for codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free. If you bring me the codes then it will help me to inform you of what is going on and a solution. If the oil looks that bad then it can be some sort of solid contamination or it may be due to oil sludge or even moisture that got in the system. The code will help the most but it may be a good idea to flush the oil out also. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further information.