Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Floor pan under carpeting (both sides, but mostly on pax

Customer Question

Floor pan under carpeting (both sides, but mostly on pax side) constantly floods, rain or not. Of course a lot more when it does rain! Dealer already replaced entire windshield/gasket assembly (for free, after 3 year service warranty expired) 2.5 years ago. Now they retested both the A/C condenser drain and the sunroof drains to see if and which of them were clogged. By blowing compressed air through A/C condenser drain hose they ruled it out as the source of water on the car floor. So they "think" is either one or both of the sunroof drains that might be obstructed. To "repair" this condition they tell me it's going to cost upwards of $600-$700. This started when I noticed that the rubber gasket around the sunroof glass had worn out unevenly and has a wider gap at one end, the pax side! I know the sunroof is not supposed to seal hermetically when closed and there is an allowed gap/tolerance, but now that has grown much wider. My question is: Could replacing the rubber gasket around the sunroof glass prevent any more water to flood the floor? It did before. The dealer tells me that would be even more expensive, that the glass and gasket come as a single piece. Yet I've seen online where one can purchase the rubber gasket for $150 +/-.They still have to remove the sunroof glass to replace the gasket, but that shouldn't cost 100s of $$. If the drains were clogged why do they still "drain", and why do they do it inside the car at the floor level and not where ever the clog is along the run of the drain hoses. Also, is there a way of fixing this without having to practically disassemble the entire interior of the car, including the A pillars covers, seats (to remove the carpet)? They did that previously when the windshield failed -and treated the carpet to prevent mold, etc. But they scratched, nicked and cracked several parts. Most of the flimsy plastic pieces will most likely not withstand a second "removal" without breaking. Short of taping shut the sunroof with electric tape (the car is black!) I don't know how to solve this without breaking the bank. Is there a way of making the dealer see that this is a failure on the part of the manufacturer, fix the problem and not charge me a small fortune for doing the right thing, like they did the first time with the windshield?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Yes a new gasket can help with water intrusion by lowering the amount of water that is getting into the sun roof trough. If the drains were clogged the leak would be from the roof. It is possible there is a tear in one of the drain hoses. Have you removed the seats and rolled the carpet back and water tested the vehicle with a hose to try and find the source of origin. It seems like no one still as of yet knows where the water is entering the cab.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris