Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

Hie I have a volvo xc90 year 2006,It went to a vehicle

Hie I have a volvo xc90 year 2006,It went to a vehicle inpection depot today ,they tested the front wheels and finished ,then the back wheels as they did the test the rear diff just cracked and ,it may have ceased .I want to know and have supporting information to this cause if it wasnt because of their machine,so I could claimThanks
Moffat

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do you happen to know what they used to lift the vehicle and check the tires? Was it done on a lift or was it done by using a hand jack?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hie Josh ,Thanks for your response,sorry did l mention that it was brake test using a roller brake tester.
the car rides on these rolling wheels and your suppose to brake,it was lifted ,you drive on to them

No, I'm sorry I didn't catch that part. I am not familiar with this type of machine. It is conceivable that using a unit such as that and violently applying brake pressure could cause a differential to crack because it sounds like it would add stress that is not accounted for by the standard differential structure.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They claim that other full time four wheel drives have been on before and nothing happened ,how do your guys test brakes on full time four wheel drives?

We would take the vehicle on a road test and then remove the wheels on a lift to visually inspect them. Are you saying that their machine will only operate 2 wheels at a time? If that is the case, it could have caused the rear differential to overheat as it would be spinning at a different speed than the front, and this could cause a case to crack.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I need the facts about this,front wheels went on well and when the rear wheels went on ,it cracked and a piece of the housing fell off

I really think that this is something that would be the responsibility of the place that worked on it. If you didn't have any pre-existing issues with the car and suddenly when using their machine, the differential cracks and a piece falls off...it sounds like it is their problem. Either they used it incorrectly or it should not have been used on your car. I will say though that no matter what the case, an all time all wheel drive vehicle should never be operated on a device that will only operate 2 wheels at a time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok is there information you can give me about this,some written information,please

I am looking for something from volvo in my service manuals...give me a few moments

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Great Thanks

I'm sorry, I have thus far been unable to locate an actual bulletin delineating the fact that the all wheel drive should not be operated with 2 wheels only...I am sorry.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok can you confirm that a volvo xc90 is a full time four wheel drive

There is an option for full time all wheel drive. If your model says all wheel then that is what it is. It operates off of a viscous clutch between the rear drive shaft and the transfer case.

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hie Josh ,still need some volvo information to present to our Vehicle inspection Department

I am sorry I don't have anything "official" that I can give you to take with you to court or wherever you are trying to use it. I wish I had something else to give you. I will opt out and see if someone else can help you