Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

Xc70 ignition won't turn

Customer Question

xc70 ignition won't turn
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

This is a problem with the column lock, which is the mechanical portion of the ignition switch. If some WD40 didn't help, the column lock will need to be replaced. The cost is about $275 for the part and 1.5 hours labor. It must be ordered from a dealer, since the new one comes coded to your existing keys. If you'd like, I can supply the instructions for replacement

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Andy. You wrote,"I can provide instructions for replacement". Could you please provide, that would be helpful.
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

No problem. I just wanted to make sure this was something you wanted to try to fix yourself. The problem is, when the steering wheel is locked, you may have to cut the column lock off... it isn't as straight forward as when it fails with the steering wheel unlocked. Either way, the instructions should get you going.

Click here for the instructions. Please remember to select a rating at the top of your screen for my service. You can follow up at any time. Thanks and good luck!

Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

Did you have any other questions? I see you have viewed the information but not selected a rating or indicated a need for further assistance.