Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

The Battery seems to be getting drained everytime I leave it

Customer Question

Hi! the Battery seems to be getting drained everytime I leave it off for more than 1 hour also, I have noticed a rotten egg smell in the last couple of days
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I got it tested yesterday by a tech and they said it was fully charged I have noticed some simmering of some kind of liquid aroung the terminals
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2005 Volvo v50 w/96,000 2.4i
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd prefer to fix it myself if that's an option. I haven't really tried anything other than using a powerstation to jump it every day. I've disconected the battery and cleaned the terminals. Thats it so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: sometimes it doesn't jump right away. I've had to togged with the stering wheel before it starts. also, I've been getting different error messages each time I jump it. Such as Alarm system needs service, powersteering needs service etc
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, when I try to turn it over at times, the lights will flicker like it doesn't have enough juice in the battery to start. But then, only sometimes, I can lock and unlock the car with the remote 5 or 6 times and it will start up
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

you need a voltage drop test to find the drain first

Voltage drop test ,for battery drain checking

1- need a Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 0.5 milli amps
than that will be the circuit we need to address for drainage .

also make sure the charging system is giving 14 volts ,with all loads on a/c ,headlight, flasher

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back & we can continue troubleshooting

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat