sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2004 Volvo S40 with 1.9L will not start. Strange though. My

Customer Question

2004 Volvo S40 with 1.9L will not start. Strange though.
My wife and I had made a*****one day. Coming home the car died while driving on the freeway. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road. The car started right up. We were half way home. She decides we need to stop at the store. When I pulled into the parking lot going up a slight hill the car died. I started it, but it had hardly any power and just putted without going up a slight hill. Had to push it to a parking space. I waited a few minutes and tried to start it again with no luck. Full tank of gas. Checked the oil and it was over 2 quarts low. Purchased some oil and put it in. Waited a bit, still no start. After 15 or 20 tries the battery was weak, of course. So we got a ride home and left the car there in the parking spot overnight.
Now, this is the strange part. We went back the next morning in our other car. I was prepared with jumper cables and a tow rope. I was certain we were going to have to tow it home. Wife insisted I put the jumper cables on and try starting it. On the very first try it started!! Wife jumps in to drive it the one mile back home, but it stalled at a stop sign just a few feet from the house. Wound not start. We pushed it into our driveway where it still sits.
That was several days ago. I have not been able to get it started since. I've kept a trickle charger on it and tried starting it every day. I reseated the wire going to the intake control valve.
I am puzzled why it started that first time after stalling on the freeway, and again the second time after waiting overnight.
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: It cranks. About 2 years.
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I removed the ICV and tried starting.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Do you remember if any warning lights came on each time it was about to stall or just before it would stall?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause the symptoms you're describing but a failing fuel pump is very likely

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a code reader or scan tool to see if any fault codes have set. Anything causing a loss of spark would set a code and would give a starting point for diagnosis. Have you checked for codes?