Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Just picked up a 2001 S4 for my daughter. It has stalled

Customer Question

Just picked up a 2001 S4 for my daughter. It has stalled twice while driving. The last time she noted that it seemed the turbo was not engaging as the power was reduced until it quit. Neither time did the Check Engine Light go on, so I'm perplexed. After stalling, the car restarted. Any ideas?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have seen issues with the crank position sensor cause this type of fault here in the past needing replaced as well as issues with components like the fuel pump itself.Usually when the crank sensor acts up it will not cause any codes to set which can make it difficult to diagnose.

I would have the fuel system tested (when it is acting up which may involve a shop installing a fuel pressure test gauge,then drive the vehicle to duplicate it to then see if the pump is at fault) as well as the engine rom signal checked on a scan tools data list to see if the rpm signal is dropping out as this can indicate a crank sensor issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete