Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

Rough idle and shaking when accelerating in low rpms.

Customer Question

JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: Consistent. Almost like a misfire. I changed the plugs and it's still doing it. Also spray cleaned the MAF
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2005 xc90 5cyl turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced spark plugs. There was some oil under the spark plug cover and also noticed the pcv tube was broken in several places. Also sprayed the mass airflow sensor.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Sort of a clicking sound coming from top of engine now. Also check engine light is on but when taken to autoparts store and hooked to the computer no codes are being shown.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had the fuel injectors tested this should be done.I have seen several cases where one or more fuel injectors may not atomize correctly and will cause this type of fault here needing either cleaned or replaced to correct this fault.In some cases you can add cleaner to the fuel tank with the tank at 1/4 tank and run to near empty and repeat to clean these yourself.I would have this checked into to see if this is the cause here.

Most likely a scan tool was used to try and read out the codes that was not fully compatible with your model and may be why no codes were found.If you know for sure it was a compatible scan tool there is a chance that the engine computer is at fault causing the check engine light and rough running needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete