sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2009 XC70 Volvo and I have been getting a warning

Customer Question

Hi Mike - I have a 2009 XC70 Volvo and I have been getting a warning indicator message that reads, reduce speed engine hot. I took it for normal service on Thursday, everything was good. This is the second time now I have had this indicator but it's only when my car is waiting in the drive thru for a long period of time. Usually Starbucks? Could it be because the air cond is running?
It has 133,336 miles
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The a/c running may worsen the issue due to the added heat it produces but that won't be the case.

If it overheats at stops or low speeds only then you have a cooling fan issue. Either the cooling fan isn't coming on due to a loss of power or ground to it (wiring, connections, or the relay), the fan may not be running due to a failure of the motor, or it may be running slowly due to internal motor failure. The cooling fan will need to be investigated for the symptoms you've described.