Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care

It overheated and it wont start. no leaks, s60 2002, yes,

Customer Question

it overheated and it wont start.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: no leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: s60 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, but I havent try anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. When it overheated, did the car shut off at that point or did you cut it off yourself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cut it myself
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It cut off until next day as I was driving.

did it overheat the next day when you drove it?

The reason I am asking this is because it sounds like you have low compression as a result of the overheat...this can cause exactly what you are describing and unfortunately usually results in engine replacement.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no. It just quit on me as I was driving. And it wont turn on again.

ok, I gotcha. So, unfortunately it sounds like you have overheated the engine to the point of no return...but there are a few tests that can be done to verify this. Are you able to get your hands on an engine compression gauge? They usually will rent them at a parts store.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I could do that.

Awesome...If you don't know the procedure, you will simply remove the spark plugs and install the gauge in one cylinder at a time. Let the motor spin over approx. 7 times and then read your pressure. Record it three different times for each cylinder. Then, go back and do each one again after adding a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and record those readings in the same way. If the compression significantly jumps after adding oil, you have a problem with the piston rings. If the compression does not jump, then you have an issue with the head gasket/valves. I would expect that the head gasket is ruptured and possibly cracked head. I hope that this is not the case, and good luck! Don't forget to leave a positive rating if you were satisfied with my service.