Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

My 2004 S60 broke a serpentine belt and had "reduced engine

Customer Question

Hi, my 2004 S60 broke a serpentine belt and had "reduced engine performance" message. Replaced belt but still have message. codes are P2121 & P21222
JA: How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 150000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: am hopong haven't tried anythin yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Does the engine run alright? and have you tried to clear these codes out yet and see if they return? thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine seem to run fine. Did clear codes. Drove for a few minutes. Codes didn't come back yet. Still online mode though
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Limp mode
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, Did you replace the timing belt as well? if not, how long since the timing belt was done?

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

So the vehicle still doesn't have much throttle response at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did not replace timing belt. Not sure how long it's been.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, my thoughts are this, if the serpentine belt broke, then it could have knocked the timing off as well, and these engines are interference engines, if your not sure, then You really need to have it checked or go ahead and replace the timing belt and tensioner. If the cam timing is off, it will not perform well at all, Once the timing belt is replaced and the cam timing is restored, then I believe that will fix it. If not and those codes return, you may be looking at replacing the throttle module. But, I would go for replacing the timing belt first as it is critical on these models and can bend valves if it breaks. the interval to replace the belt is 105K miles .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like a plan thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Absolutely, thank you. Let me know if you have any further questions.