sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2014 volvo xc 90. I jut returned from a road trip

Customer Question

I have a 2014 volvo xc 90. I jut returned from a long road trip where it was fine. Today, check engine light is on and it won't accelerate above 35 mph. Thoughts?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you can't exceed 35 MPH then odds are either the engine is in limp in and power is being limited or the trans is in limp in and it's limiting shifting. There are dozens of possible causes for the engine light coming on, it will come on when the engine controller sees a failure in a monitored component or system and sets a fault code. The issue could be any sensor in the powertrain, an electronic throttle control issue, a trans problem, wiring, even the engine controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or coee reader to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there.