Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

I'm having problems with my 2006 Volvo S40 T5, AWD, with the

Customer Question

Hi, I'm having problems with my 2006 Volvo S40 T5, AWD, with the 6 speed manual. While driving up a hill, I got the message on the dash that said "Reduced Engine Performance," and the car shut off. I parked it and towed it home and the check engine light said it was a cam position sensor, but I don't remember which cam it was. I bought the sensor and swapped it in for the intake sensor, cleared the code, and tried to start it. It turns over, but won't start. Then I put the original intake sensor back, and swapped the new sensor with the old exhaust one. Again, no start. Now the check engine light comes on when the key is turned, but blinks a few times and goes out, and isn't showing any codes. The only other thing I have done is checked for spark. I pulled a spark plug-not sure if it's cylinder 1 or 5, but it's the one closest to the timing belt-and touched it against the strut bar while cranking the engine and it sparked. So, not sure what to do now, hoping you can help.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin is engine turning at normal speed and what was the fault code ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't remember the fault code and it doesn't show up anymore. It seems to turn over the same speed as normal. I was going to check the timing, and removed the top half of the timing cover, but don't see any timing marks on the cam gears.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't think of it before, but would not having the serpentine belt attached keep the engine from starting? It was folded over and torn up a little, but was still spinning the alternator. I took it off and ordered a new one, but I didn't think that would keep it from starting. I've been using a jump starter to turn the engine over.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Did the serpentine belt break? when you say folded over and torn up a little, was it still spinning all the accessories or had it come off? thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was still on, and was spinning the accessories.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, how does it sound when it spins over now but fails to start? Does it sound normal? or does it sound like it's spinning pretty fast ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It sounds normal.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, you have any starting fluid? I would like to see if it would even hit or run briefly spraying starting fluid into it, You said it had spark, so I'm wondering if it has fuel pressure, do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but I've tried starting fluid in the air box, but nothing changed.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, Do you have a scanner to check the codes that it stored? If so, can you give me the code numbers?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a cheap Bluetooth one that has always worked but it won't read it anymore. I can get another one and try it.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, If you can get the codes out of it somehow, maybe borrow a scanner from a local auto parts store, that will give us something to go on. Let me know what you find there. thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do. Thank you
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Absolutely.