Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My 96 850 will not start when it quit the shift selector

Customer Question

My 96 850 will not start when it quit the shift selector arrow stayed pointing at drive
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like an issue with the position the shifter shows it is engaged in.If the neutral safety switch/transmission position switch was replaced and did not correct this here as well as the TCM inspect the wiring from the switch and see if any issues are found with damaged or corroded wiring causing issues sending false signals which will cause this here.If this is checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete