Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

My 1998 V70 AWD does some thumping noise when backing up

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In some cases this can be due to a damaged suspension component like a strut or shock needing replaced and in other cases I have seen issues with brake pads that actually slip in the brake caliper needing replaced.You will want to have this inspected closely to locate the source of the noise then from there the noise can be repaired to correct this here.This is usually best done with the vehicle on a hoist to locate and repair this issue like at a brake or alignment shop to check suspension and brake components.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is apprectiated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my level in mechanics is such that I just replaced a head gasket in this Volvo. This alone will reveal how much I know in mechanics. Changing a head gasket in a 5 cylinder is no small matter.
What you suggested is not even near to the problem. The thumping is a dull sound and it seems to be coming from the shaft which is transmitting the movement to the rear end. There is no thumping if I back straight up. But it will do it when turning.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I apologize as I wasnt aware of your experience level an was not aware of the type of sound it was making exactly as well as you knew the area of the sound.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Is thumping noise in a rhythm? Like it would happen every 360 degrees of driveshaft rotation?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your interest in this situation Eddie. No the thumping seems to be more related to the speed and the more turning the more thumping. It is not even and sometimes there is no thumping, but rarely this happens. From what I have seen on you tube it seems that many AWD vehicles have this problem.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

It's not a CV joint around turns, giving you that "clack clack clack" is it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Definitely not. Could it be some problem building in the rear end differential? I doubt it because the sound is more like some rubber thumping after some pressure built up and release.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

Alright, It's usually the driveshaft itself, the rear driveshaft that is on AWD. You can take the driveshaft off the angle gear, wire out or bungy cord it out of the way, and go drive it again, see if it does it. I believe you will find that it doesn't make the noise then.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** check that.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

Alright, let me know what happens, look on Ebay at colorado driveshaft. about the cheapest around. Volvo will want 1K for a driveshaft.