Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 Volvo v40 - alarm siren going off randomly (waking us

Customer Question

2003 Volvo v40 - alarm siren going off randomly (waking us up!)
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: I can stop alarm. However I'm trying to prevent it from going off periodically
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will do myself. Please have a Volvo expert contact me
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am still looking for help. From my reading, this problem is very common and I'm hoping to communicate with a Volvo tech that's fixed this many times before.I see people write "pull fuse 38", which I'm totally fine with if it doesn't mess with other stuff. I also see people ordering a siren online, which is also OK if that's got a high probability of working (sounds like it's not trivial accessing and removing the old one). So I'm looking for advice on how to proceed and some photos/diagrams of performing this on a 2003 v40.Also need to know how much pearl/justanswer will charge me.Thanks!

Rather than altering the system it would be better to find out why its happening so it can just be fixed. Drive the vehicle then park and lock it up. An hour later go out and push and pull on all openings side, front, and rear. See if you can make the alarm go off. This will tell us if there is a concern possibly with that ajar sensor. Can you let me know those results.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Moose.I locked the car with key fob; then pushed, pulled, and lifted all handles side/front/rear.
I could not make the alarm go off using any of these methods.What should I try next?

We need to keep trying to make the alarm go off manually to figure out why it is going off on its own. Do the same test as before but this time push on the vehicle to make it rock back and forth. If you still can not get the alarm to go off then you will need a dealer equivalent scan tool to see which part of the alarm system is triggering a potential theft event.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Chris, I like your approach of identifying the root cause of this issue. I went out this morning and attempted to trigger the alarm, but was unsuccessful. In fact, I couldn't get the alarm to go off despite attempting:
1. Locked doors (red alarm light on passenger dash started flashing)
2. Pushed/Pulled all doors and hatch handles
3. Rocked the car back and forth
4. Rolled down windows and locked doors again
5. Reached through window and opened driver door
6. Locked doors again
7. Reached through window and opened passenger door
NO ALARM!

Since your not bale to even make it go off. I am leaning more towards this being a faulty module that controls the alarm.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I opened this ticket to avoid dealer. The siren is not important to me. Could you provide instructions to disable it?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Sorry I do not know how to disable this feature. I will opt out and let another try.