Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a volvo xc90 and the radiator fan won't turn on. I

Customer Question

I have a volvo xc90 and the radiator fan won't turn on. I have now been through 3 fans, with no luck. Please help.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i still need help.

With the AC on the fans also will not run?

Can you do electrical diag?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They dont run with the ac on. How would i do electric diagnosis?

Here is the wire diagram.

At the fan control, can you confirm the red wire has battery voltage and the black wire has no resistance to ground?

If you unplug the ECM and the fan control and OHM test the violet wire from end to end is there no resistance?

Ohm testing this same wire to battery power and ground is there no continuity?

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All you did was give me an electronic diagram, which I could find online in a few minutes. I want to know what other components tend to go bad when it is not the fan itself. A sensor, relay, etc. Thanks for your help.

Sorry you found the answer I provided elsewhere.

Can you tell me the results you got on the 3 questions which I asked about the wiring?

I hate giving tend to type answers because those rarely are accurate. Though since you have asked for it. Normally when a fan will not work and the fan has been replaced, it is very likely to be a failure within the computer.