Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

Its coming up with transmission service req, its ok until

Customer Question

its coming up with transmission service req, its ok until you get to fourth gear above 2000 rpm then it comes up with - and stays in that gear until you put in park and turn ignition off ? at low revs thru town no issues just when your up to 50-60 mph
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: just bought car last services 168.000 its now at 252.000, ive looked at it, slightly dirty, is Volvo atf pure red ?
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2002 s60 se 2.5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, not much trying to read up on it before I know what I'm getting into
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it comes up with engine service now and then say once a fortnight, ive only had car 3 weeks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

In order to determine weather the problem you are describing is an internal concern or an electronic control issue the first thing you are going to need to do is to scan the computer system with a Volvo compatible scan tool and see if there are any transmission fault codes setting which there should be if this is a electronic control issue. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can advise you from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do you think it could be electrical?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

It is sure very possible, if in fact it is you will usually find the computer will set and store a fault code. With the amount of miles you have on it its may also be a good idea to go ahead and service it.

Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

If you do service it I would consider adding a can of transmission fluid conditioner to the new fluid which may help as well if its something just sticking.