Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 200 Volvo S40 Have had issues with doors not

Customer Question

I have a 200 Volvo S40
Have had issues with doors not unlocking in the past. Paid premium to get it fixed when we got tired of climbing in through the trunk.
Even bought a new key after breaking one.
After a year of some struggle but no trunk entry, suddenly today neither key can unlock this stubborn car. No remotes came with car but will pay whatever if we can avoid this hassle.
This issue is one of many, brake pads fell off, headlamps won't stay despite new, thousands I have spent and I DO have an excellent mechanic who works on my BMW. He cries when this car shows up.
I don't know where to begin with the doors again. Even has parts shipped from Sweden.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did get an answer, they asked for MORE money to answer my question.

Based on your response I can not tell, would you like me to try and help?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.
  • If the key will turn but the latch will not open in the door then its the door latch that has failed. Do you still want help?

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have had the latch replaced one year ago.
Why would it fail again?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hundreds of $$$$ and parts from Sweden? Denmark? Wherever. Plus a new key and programming.
Should NOT have failed already.

So the key will go into the door and turn both ways but it will not lock or unlock the door?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
door locks, try to unlock and won't unlatch

Since you are able to turn the key and lock the door and the key does not appear to bind in the other direction. I am going to say its the latch faulty for this concern.

Customer: replied 3 months ago. haven't read from the beginning.
When I turn the key to try the door to unlock with 2 different keys, the latch starts to move then 're locks itself. The doors DONT unlock. This happened last year and it was weeks and over $500.00 to fix it.
What can I do if the keys don't work. Is there a way to use a key fob?
This is frustrating spreading this conversation out over one week. I tried to move this dumb car EIGHT days ago
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It isn't your fault Chris. I never should have tried to get an answer for $20.00. I NEVER should have bought this $@#+? Car. My 1994 Volvo, 230,000 miles is a dream. THIS one is killing me.

You make it sound like your locked out of the vehicle and can not get in to remove the door panel and replace the faulty latch, is that correct?