Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

MY 2005 VOLVO S40 2.4L WONT SHIFT OUT OF PARK WITHOUT DOING

Customer Question

MY 2005 VOLVO S40 2.4L WONT SHIFT OUT OF PARK WITHOUT DOING IT MANUALLY WITH A SCREW DRIVER
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Start first with checking the #54 fuse (10 AMP) located in the central electronic module on the right side of the dash to make sure its in place and not blown. See the wiring diagram in the link below fr reference. Let me know if the fuse is okay and I will direct you from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK THANKS
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
IT LOOKS GOOD
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay if you are sure you have power in and out of the fuse then the next steps would be to check and see if you have power from it into and out of the transmission control module and if so to the shift lock shift lock actuator. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Shift%20lock%20Ju%2C%2019.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK THERE IS POWER GOING THROUGH THE FUSE. EVEN WITH THE KEY OFF. IS THAT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I SEE THAT THE TCM IS IN THE REAR OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT, BUT WHERE EXACTLY SHOULD I BE LOOKING?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Your checking the power flow from the fuse to the TCM and out to the Shift lock solenoid on the wire shown in the diagram.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
WHERE IS THE TCM THEN?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

The TCM is on the top of the transmission at the rear of the engine compartment just as stated in the diagram I sent you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
THERE'S ONLY ONE CONNECTOR GOING INTO THE TCM. IT'S ON THE WHEEL SIDE (NOT THE ENGINE SIDE) IT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS A CONNECTOR ON THE ENGINE SIDE BUT THERE IS NOTHING ON THE WIRE HARNESS THAT GOES INTO IT.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

I have provided you with all the information I have on this and at this point I think you are going to need some professional hands on help with this concern. Unfortunately I have done all I can from here. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has something new to add.

Expert:  Enes replied 9 months ago.

most the time what you have will require removal of your shiftier assembly and needs to be cleaned there is inside shift solenoid for lock to release so you can shift that can get stuck and needs to be re adjusted and problem will be solved

Expert:  Enes replied 9 months ago.

if you canplease take second rate answer positive ok neutral or positive we will stay locked like that and you can reply back to me faster thank you