Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

I cannot get my 1994 Volvo 940 out of park. The gear shift

Customer Question

I cannot get my 1994 Volvo 940 out of park. The gear shift lever on the counsel does not move into R nor any other position. It goes up slightly when I push the button but does not go in.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Where is the brake switch? The transmission has never been replaced or repaired since I purchased it in 2005.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Volvo?
Customer: It is a 1994 940 station wagon.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 1994 940 wagon
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello Eddie here, Do your brake lights work with the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
they do.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, The problem then is likely going to be the shift lock microswitch, it is a small switch on the passenger side of the shifter assembly but it's under the console and difficult to get to without removing the center console. I have pulled them off with some needle nose pliers before, and cut the switch out of the circuit. then twist the wires together or use a butt connector to completely take the microswitch out of the circuit. Then the solenoid will operate when you press the brakes, but you don't have to spend any $ on a new part either. That is likely what I would do if it was mine. but if you want to replace the switch, you will have to get a new switch and it's relatively easy to replace once you take out the center console. It looks like this, let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.