Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

The A/C on my vehicle isn't blowing very cold and when I'm

Customer Question

Hi, the A/C on my vehicle isn't blowing very cold and when I'm in stop and go traffic or idling it eventually stops blowing cold air all together. It only blows cold air consistently when I'm on the highway in flowing traffic. Is my compressor going bad or is it a switch or sensor?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

Prior to me just saying it can be this or that. Are you able to do any testing on AC systems or not looking to diagnose this yourself?

Idling in park in your driveway can you make this occur?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have the tools to test AC system, I just want to know if it's the compressor or not so that I can order it online and take it to a mechanic for installation. While idling in the driveway, the AC comes on initially, but after a while it stops cooling and just the blower runs.

Even without tools we can do some diag with your eyes and hands.

Can you drive the vehicle and get it to operating temp. At home idling, hood open, AC running.

The engine coolant fan should be running. If not then there is a fan or fan control issue causing high AC condenser temp and pressure concerns.

Watch the clutch on the front of the compressor it should be spinning since its locked to the clutch pulley by a electric magnet. It should stay engaged about 90% of the time. If its unlocking and not engaging then you are more than likely looking at a pressure concern in the AC, from a restriction in the system.

Hold the AC lines where they go into the firewall they should be freezing cold. If they remain freezing cold but heat is blowing out of the dash then you have a blend door issue.

So far you have minimal blame that the compressor is the failure and if you buy one and go to a shop and say install this, that is all they will do. If there are concerns within the AC system, those concerns could result in your replacement compressor failing.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me try your suggestions and get back to you.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris