internal88, Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working on Import and European vehicles for 15 years. Diagnostic is my specialty.

Have a 98 Volvo S70 non-Turbo that has a service reminder

Customer Question

Have a 98 Volvo S70 non-Turbo that has a service reminder light that goes on when I start the car. When I took the car to Jiffy Lube they say I need the Volvo tool to reset the service light. Is that true? how can I get that tool or make one that resets that service reminder light?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: My son has a code reader and he's downstate at school.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Volvo Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 1998 Volvo S70 non-Turbo. (They only made one with a non-Turbo). It was produced in 1997 if that helps but the title says 1998 due to the fact it was mfg 09/97!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The Jiffy Lube guy said that the tool? plugs into the OMBII port in the center console and I need to turn my key to position II.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, thanks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  internal88 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Brandon.

There are five steps to resetting the service light on a Volvo S70: pressing and holding the odometer reset button, turning the ignition switch to the "run" position, releasing the reset button when the SRL flashes, turning the ignition off and then back on to confirm the reset.

Please rate me positive, thank you!

You don't need a specific volvo tool to reset the service light.