Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

If I 't remove the pulley I would think that if I try to

Customer Question

If I don't remove the pulley I would think that if I try to fish down the belt and remove it and can't find enough clearance to do it, that would tell me that I would not be able to get the new belt in from the bottom. Also, I would not want to start routing the new belt from the cam gear until I know that the cam is in the correct timing alignment. I can not see the alignment marks and thought that they would be easier to see with the pulley off. The marks for the top two gears are no problem to see.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

So the cam gears up top, you have got those marked? There is a line on each pulley that is suppoed to go straight up to 12 oclock on both pulleys.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Do you see a small opening between the pulley and the block or oil pump, (can't remember exactly what it hits there) but it's something aluminum, take off the snow guard, and it will fit between the pulley and block, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it that way, (also a some GATES brand belts are a little thicker, I know a Volvo brand belt will fit).

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it that way, then really the only way to do it, is pull the starter to either A. get the special crank locking tool that Volvo recommends, or B. jam a large prybar or screwdriver inbetween the flywheel teeth and bellhousing.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Any luck with it?