Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

I have a 2001 Volvo V70 XC and I am trying to replace the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Volvo V70 XC and I am trying to replace the timing belt and other things. I can not remove and reinstall the belt with the crankshaft pulley on. I can remove the pulley bolts but not the center 30mm crankshaft bolt. I fashioned a steel bar and bolted it to the pulley to catch the frame so that the shaft would not turn while trying to loosen the center bolt. The eighth-inch bar bent while trying to loosen the 30mm bolt. I may need to fashion a thicker bar. I do not have an impact wrench. The car was on jack stands high enough to remove the wheel and the arm of my extended socket wrench is about 24 inches long which might not be enough leverage. I wish I could find a weekend freelance mechanic close to Arlington MA to help me loosen the bolt. I need the pulley off for belt access and positioning the timing marks on the cam.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. There is a crank pin tool that goes into the block behind the starter motor. it looks like this. That is the "by the book" method, however, I have crammed a Volvo belt between the pulley and toothed wheel before without pulling it off, I usually just use an impact of course, but since you do not have one, I would suggest pulling the starter motor and using a pry bar or large flat head screwdriver and wedge it between the flywheel teeth and the bellhousing. I have also seen some put a 1/2 inch breaker bar and socket on that crank nut, and bump the starter motor. I don't recommend that, but in a jam I have done it before. It usually does work. But you can also break a starter motor that way. The way I recommended it without pulling the pulley, is I take that guard off the front where the crank pulley is, then I cut the old belt, and pull it out, then I basically shoe horn a belt back up between the pulley and the block. If you want to take the pulley off though, those are some options for you. Let me know if you have any further questions, and don't forget to mark the cam pulleys on the cover to make it easier to see before taking the old belt off. Thank you.