Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

I am looking at a 2001 Volvo S60 with 98,000 miles, it has a

Customer Question

I am looking at a 2001 Volvo S60 with 98,000 miles, it has a ticking noise at idle, and when you drive in first and second gear, then halfway through third gear the noise goes away, it sounds somewhat like a lifter/ Valve issue, except on take off it gets louder. It also sounds a little like an exhaust leak... Just wondering if people have come across the same issues... Also it is a turbo model
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? What color is the fluid?
Customer: Not a leak, just a ticking
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will fix it myself, but I haven't tried anything yet, as I haven't bought the car yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd agree that the ticking noise could be an exhaust leak, so I'd start by checking all the exhaust joints - where the manifold joins the head and the down pipe joints just before the cataylst - the best way to do this is to start the engine from cold and feel around each joint with your bare hands - feeling for exhaust gas blowing over your fingers - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Alright hopefully it is exhaust related
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

another possibilty is a worn drive shaft joint,

if you try reversing with the steering on full lock and the windows wound down you will hear a worn drive joint 'click' quite loudly

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you