Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

My engine won't turn over the starter is good and so is the

Customer Question

My engine won't turn over the starter is good and so is the battery.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am actually good with text by would like to get it rolling as I need the car for Monday.
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Rake the gear stick from P to L a few times and try it in neutral. If it starts then it's the neutral safety switch or what Volvo refers to as the PNP switch. Let me know what happens there.

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Also, try putting 12 volts to the small signal wire terminal on the starter. There are two terminals there I believe. on some starters there is if it's been replaced before, so try them both. It should crank then if your battery is charged and your starter motor is good. If it doesn't crank then but you get a loud click, make sure you can spin the engine over by putting a 30mm socket on the crankshaft bolt and spin the engine by hand a full 720 degrees.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The starter only is pulling 10 amps
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

You tested the large cable from the battery? If you did, then the starter is bad, because starters at the least will pull about 150 amps to crank the engine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There was about .2-.3 resistance in the large red cable from the battery to the starter and I brought the starter to a starter shop and they said it was fine could I be getting a bad reading because it was trying to pull so many amps through my small gauge multimeter ?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
you cant check starter draw with a small multimeter. You need a battery tester, or at the least a small starter draw gauge that you put around the battery cable when you crank it. The engine will spend by hand correct?