Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have 2010 Volvo V50 1600 diesel, I have got a 'Engine

Customer Question

I have 2010 Volvo V50 1600 diesel, I have got a 'Engine System Service Urgent' light, other dash board info lights seem ok. Am I ok to drive short distances, e.g. to local garage, is it linked to the DPF? please,
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, I will go and have a look now, thanks,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, not going to fix it myself, just trying to get a handle on what it might be. I guess I would not be able tell if a fuse was ok or not!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: um, its done 85,000 service April/May every year. Was very low on fuel, so had just filled up and then the warning light came on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin does the engine seem to run any differently ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it sounded the same, I looked under the bonnet, it had oil water etc, it seemed hot to me, but the temp gauge was reading normal.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Ok you should be fine to drive a short distance .you will need to have car plugged into diagnostic machine to find cause .but there a various different reasons it can cone on a dpf isuue is possible

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am worried about cost, finding a runaway bill as I lost my job, does Volvo have a printed list of all the reasons for why this light comes on, reading internet postings seems to indicate DPF needs topping up, I had not idea they had any liquid in them! I thought DPF were like mega expensive. Thanks.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Your car doesnt run dpf cleaning fluid the list will literally have millions of codes .on your engine there are probrably around 150 different sensors .for each sensor there are mabye 10 different codes so there is an almost endless list .you need to have car plugged in to retrieve fault code then diagnosis is easier and far cheaper than attempting to guess the cause .if you want to come back to me with fault codes il assist with diagnosis .please remember to rate my service

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** for me than the local service garage. Thanks very much, Regards, Alex.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

No problem please rate my service i will leave question open so you can come back to me once you had car plugged in

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Please remember to rate

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Please rate