Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Code came up engine light on P0785 shift timing soleniod

Customer Question

code came up engine light on P0785 shift timing soleniod reading on code
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: tranny guy did a reset code it came back two days later mytbe less
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: failed inspection car is jumping and seems like when i come to stop and then go to drive it feels like a bop in gear from back
JA: What year is your Volvo?
Customer: s60 auto 2.4 5liter awd
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing looking to see how to do it and if it even is something i can do not a mechanic though
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: thatsabout it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

hey , what year is the S60 Volvo please ?

Thank You

Chad (aka-Jhook1398)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 awd auto 2.4 5
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was told the part was shift timing solenoid A but all the parts I called on say numbers like 1 2 3
trying to get the part number and roughly hours and how to replace

ok great , thank You

no problem let me look all that up and i will post a reply shortly

Chad

If you look at the diagram I sent you and read the description of the fault please it Says : Poor gear Shifting Quality, does not indicated any shift or lock up SL problem

1-The P0785 code is usually internal clutches damage or dirty filter

you can try changing fluid first

2- You can check these solenoids by checking resistance and know if they are defective Using an voltmeter set to resistance testing

3- If the solenoids are okay , then that means internal , clutches, TCC converter etc...

4- To take out the valve body and get to the solenoid it calls for 4.2 hr labor , now they dont list part number , but just by calling the dealr and give him the vin# ***** can get it for you since each solenoid has a seperate name ( S1 thru S5 shiftying solenoids) SLS SLT SLU

Solenoid SLT, SLS and SLU Measure the resistance between both the pins in the solenoid connector. Correct value: 5.0-5.6 ohms.

Solenoid S1 Measure the resistance between the pin in the solenoid connector and the transmission ground terminal. Correct value: 12-16 ohms. Solenoids S2-S5 Measure the resistance between the pin in the solenoid connector and the transmission ground terminal. Correct value: 11-15 ohms. If the resistance of any of solenoids S1-S5 is incorrect Replace the solenoid. See Replacing solenoids S1-S5.

1

2