Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Low oil pressure light flickers and there is whining noise

Customer Question

low oil pressure light flickers and there is whining noise from oil pump area when car is first started and engine is cold. Noise gets much quieter after warming up. We just changed the oil pump due to this concern, and when it was removed, we found that the metal circlip that holds the pressure control valve in the oil pump had broken, so that valve piston and spring fell out as we removed the oil pump. There was no trace of that metal circlip.
After repair, symptoms are exactly the same. We have also measured oil pressure directly, and found it was low, 5-10psi at idle when warmed up. There is no knocking or other engine sounds
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

You should see 14.5 psi minimum at idle. Your losing pressure somewhere in the engine as long as the pump and pressure regulator are fine. Possible causes for low pressure after the repairs you made are worn crank main, rod, and cam bearings. An engine overhaul is needed to address that.

If your confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If your not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you are pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

What do you know about oil sump o rings? I guess there are several orings between the pan and engine that can fail and cause low oil pressure..even Napa has a oil sump repair kit available..we're gonna pull the oil pan today to check em out

I normally address the oil pickup when addressing a pump. I assume you did not based on this follow up. Yes there are O-rings that seal to allow for good pump suction without aeration.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris