Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician

I am loosing a lot of coolant from an area under the upper

Customer Question

I am loosing a lot of coolant from an area under the upper engine mount on a Volvo 1999, V70, XC, AWD. Is there a possible freeze plug located in that area?
JA: Have you inspected the hoses? Have you checked the radiator fluid?
Customer: Yes, and all those look fine.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes on the self fix, and I have spend about a half hour just trying to locate where the leak is.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Only that it is pouring coolant from that location and therefore the vehicle is not driveable until repaired.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was charged $24.00 instead of the quoted $5.00. What's up with that?
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, Volvo master certified technician and will be helping you with your V70.

Can you possibly take a picture of the location that you see the coolant leak from so i have a better idea of what you are talking about?

It is possible one of the turbocharger coolant hoses are leaking or a heater hose.

I am unsure why you got charged that amount, i do not deal with the payment side of JustAnswer. I can submit this to customer service if you like.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please do submit...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my husband is outside with the car...a picture would be next o impossible but it appears to be coming from below the lower motor mount bracket

Not a problem i will do that.

Normally a coolant pressure tester is used to find a coolant leak. One like this can be found at most auto parts stores or even rented.

The tester pressurizes the cooling system and help find the source of the leak.

Is the engine mount you are talking about located on the top of the engine on the valve cover?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My husband says it's not "leaking" it's POURING OUT. He put about a gallon of water into the coolant overflow and out it rushed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no on the phone call. we already got overcharged. willing to sacrifice $5. but no more. Thanks

Has the engine been overheated? If so it is possible coolant could be leaking at the head gasket. This will leak between the cylinder head and cylinder block.

Also check the heater hoses going into the firewall and the coolant hoses going to the turbocharger assembly.

Also a small mirror could be very useful to try and find the leak.

Inspect the back of the engine by the head gasket to see if it is leaking there.

Are you having any luck finding the leak?

I submitted this to customer service for you they should contact you soon.

Just be aware Volvo engines are very sensitive to being overheated. Once the engine is overheated the headgasket normally needs to be replaced.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated. I will continue to work with you even after rated, and get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for 5 star excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.

Derek W

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this car overheated on my granddaughter this weekend. We have been in triple digit temps. If there is no freeze plug in this area than I was afraid that she might have blown a head gasket! It is very hard to see where the water is coming out with out tearing things apart and I was not wanting to get into a major project with this car, She is 20 years of age and doesn't always takes things as seriously as she should.