Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

I put in a different, supposedly good, ABS module in my 2004

Customer Question

I put in a different, supposedly good, ABS module in my 2004 Volvo V70 wagon but the ABS light is still on, local mechanic cleared the codes but light still on, Volvo mechanic says he could not figure it out, may have to take to the dealer. Not worth it, can you help?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. First thing you want to do, is look closely at the front CV axles, where the wheel speed sensors are, make sure the harness, the sensor itself, and the toothed wheel isn't damaged, I have seen the toothed wheel come lose on the half shafts before. So look closely at the axles and make sure the toothed wheel is tight and aligned properly with the sensor. The back is usually OK, but anything is possible. You can monitor the wheel speed sensors with an advanced type scan tool looking into the data stream of the ABS module. I don't know if your tech had a scan tool with that capability, but if everything looks good with the sensors, toothed wheels, and harnesses, I believe I would try to monitor that before trying anything else. Also, depending on what donor car this ABS module came off of, it may or not be compatible with yours. It depends on the Software Part Number just as much as the Hardware part number. I would tell you advise you to get your old ABS module if you do not have it. Because they can be rebuilt at and they ship it back to you, plug and play with no software to upload. It's probably the module if all the sensors and toothed wheel are OK. But I would advise you to go ahead and let them rebuild the original module that was on the car first. as we know that one is correct with the correct software in it. Check for rebuild price. but I believe it's around 300$. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.