Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician
61695331

I have a XC90 T6. I recently had the Timing belt and front

Customer Question

I have a XC90 T6. I recently had the Timing belt and front camshaft seals replaced due to oil leaking. The water pump, Thermostat assembly, transmission filter, and transmission fluid replaced. Right after I got the car back my engine light cam on with a 0101 fault and 0102 fault. I replace the Mass air flow sensor with the same type and part number from Bosch. Did not fix problem. Now the car will die when moving at 50 mph to a normal stop. It does it intermtitently. The rpm drops below 500 and the car dies when it get down below 20 mph. I found a broken connection on the main plastic air maifold/tubing on top of the engine that appears to come from the air filter box. It wasnt like that when I brought the car in to be fixed. A metal strap was wrapped around the connection point of this large plastic air manifold to the top of the enigne. It was not originally their before I had the oil leak repaired. I had no problems except an oil leak when I brought it in for repairs. The car also make a loud whoosh sound if i acclerate and then let off the gas pedal. It almost sound like blow-by from the turbo unit which I never notice before.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

My name is ***** ***** am a Volvo master technician and will be happy to help you with your XC90. If the engine has any kind of air leaks before or after the turbocharger it will cause a false mass air flow sensor code. The Whoosh sound you are hearing is likely a turbocharger hose leaking air and this is causing the code to set. After all of the repairs you just had done if you were at my shop we would look at this again for free and fix it. Can you take a picture of the metal strap and plastic manifold you are talking about so i have a better understanding of what you are talking about. Thanks Derek
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The picture is attached. Their is a silver band.

This is very likely the cause of your mass air flow code to be setting. Unmetered air is bypassing at the broken air tube and not being monitred by the mass air flow sensor. This is the air intake tube from the mass air flow sensor to the turbocharger assembly that is leaking.

The plastic retaining tabs are broken and it appears the person servicing your vehicle tried to fix it with the metal clamp. That clamp should not be there. Plastic parts do get brittle over time, and these things happen but it should have been replaced if caused by the service technician.

I would give them a call or return and ask them what happened, and for a replacement part. Also the intake system should be smoke tested to find any other possible leaks.

If you have any other questions please let me know

If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated. I will continue to work with you even after rated, and get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for 5 star excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.

Derek W

Hi i am just checking back in. Any luck getting your Volvo fixed?

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks

Derek.