Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I'm a happy owner of a 1999 V70 and currently in the

Customer Question

I'm a happy owner of a 1999 V70 and currently in the market for something similar/newer. I recently bought a 2005 XC70, and returned it the next day when I discovered the commonly-reported issue of the transmission shifting hard between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I am not a mechanic, but upon further research I found that the Aisin AF33 transmission seems to be the root of the problem, which usually pops up at about 100k miles. It also appears that Volvo has used it in a handful of other model years after 2000 in the XC70 and XC90.I love my 1999 V70 and I know that Volvo has a great reputation outside of this transmission failure, but I am now very skeptical about picking up a newer Volvo. Are there newer model years of the XC70 or XC90 that have addressed this issue? What should I look for, and what should I avoid? Should I stay away from Volvo altogether?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm a happy owner of a 1999 V70 and currently in the market for something similar/newer. I recently bought a 2005 XC70, and returned it the next day when I discovered the commonly-reported issue of the transmission shifting hard between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I am not a mechanic, but uponfurther research I found that the Aisin AF33 transmission seems to be the root of the problem, which usually pops up at about 100k miles. It also appears that Volvo has used it in a handful of other model years after 2000 in the XC70 and XC90.I love my 1999 V70 and I know that Volvo has a great reputation outside of this transmission failure, but I am now very skeptical about picking up a newer Volvo. Are there newer model years of the XC70 or XC90 that have addressed this issue? What should I look for, and what should I avoid? Should I stay away from Volvo altogether?

Sorry I didnt see the first half of your reply.

What years are you considering and what vehicles?

Have you considered a subaru outback? Those are about the closest competition and people who drive em love em to death.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have considered the Outback, I just still want an expert opinion on the 2000's Volvos. Have you experienced that transmission issue in a lot of the vehicles you've worked on? And do you know if they've addressed it in newer models?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
From what I've researched, the ones to stay away from are between 200 and '07, but like I said, I'm not a mechanic so I just want an opinion from someone who knows more than me and has first-hand experience working on Volvos.

No there usually arent problems with the 03 and up model years as long as they were properly maintained. The main unavoidable issues were fixed in 03. Just be diligent in your search and be sure to get one that the maintenance can be proven on and you should be fine.