Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

I have a 2000 V40 wagon Issue. Had my in dash CD stereo

Customer Question

I have a 2000 V40 wagon Issue. Had my in dash CD stereo stolen. They just cut the wires. Antenna wire OK. I bought a new used original unit. What do I need to hook my replacment unit up as far as a plug that fits, and the alarm will work. Have the replacement info to give the dealer for code. Replacement model serial # ***** Volvo #(###) ###-####1 #816. If I buy a plug set and connect to original wiring and plug it in will the alarm active. Or do I need the code entered of the replacement unit have to be coded in first. Please Help. Thanks
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No I would have to go to my mechanic to do the code
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing Don't want to screw up
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No sure just want to do it right. I am mechanical inclined, and can do the plug connection. Just need to know proper procedure. Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

You will need to obtain the plugs that were cut from your vehicle harness and wire those plugs into the wiring then plug in the radio and obtain the code info from a dealer from there to input into the radio to unlock it.This is the normal procedure for most models.You can sometimes locate the plugs you need from a local salvage yard or a place like

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete